I’ve used frozen blueberries and they work well, Whenever I buy fresh ones, they seem to get picked by the handful and eaten too fast!
The addition of orange zest and juice compliments the blueberries and together they fill the kitchen with a lovely smell while the muffins cook.
Blueberry and orange muffins
- 60g butter
- 155g sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml milk
- 250g blueberries
- Zest of an orange plus 2 tablespoons of juice
- 2 eggs
- Beat butter and sugar together with a hand whisk.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Mix in the flour and milk alternately.
- Add the cranberries, orange zest and juice and stir to mix with a wooden spoon.
- Line muffin tin with large paper cases and fill.
- Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes.
The mix makes 12 large muffins. My favourite way to eat them is dusted with icing sugar when they are still slightly warm.
They freeze well.